My media gallery reformatting project has led me to the Boland family, and in particular to one of the Graham family tree's most famous inhabitants: Notre Dame sports radio and television personality Joe Boland. In this episode, I cover my family's ties to "Mr. B", his college life, and career as both a coach and a radio announcer. After that we'll hear a pair of 1954 broadcasts featuring the man himself. [Correction: In the podcast, I state a belief that the interview was recorded in the late 1950s. I learned after editing the episode that both audio clips are from 1954.]
Consider donating to Archive.org and to the Old Time Radio Researchers Group, whose hard work and generosity have made this episode possible.
Other links are in the show notes.
• Genealogy By Tim G.: Season 2 Episode 9 show notes.
• IMDb.com: Knute Rockne, All American (1940)
• Fighting Irish Digial Media: Legend or Myth? Knute Rockne Invented The Forward Pass
• Google Books: Joe Boland, Notre Dame Man, The Golden Voices of Football, The Billion Dollar Saint: A Farce in Three Acts
• Wikipedia: Joe Boland
• Fandom.com: Ask Me Another
• Archive.org: Fighting Irish Football, 20 September 1954
• Rare SportsFilms, Inc.: 1958, 1959 Chicago Cardinals
• Find-a-Grave: Joseph Boland
• Cedar Grove Cemetery: Burials of Interest
• Old Time Radio Researchers Group
• South Bend Tribune, 2 January 1925: Notre Dame Rides Ruthlessly Over Stanford Eleven
• The Minneapolis Journal, 12 October 1926: Notre Dame Spirit Leads Two Pals to Stay With Injured Football Heroes at Hospital
• South Bend Tribune, 31 March 1931: Rockne Killed In Air Crash
• The Minneapolis Journal, 8 April 1931: Girl Here Weds Notre Dame Star In Hospital Romance
• South Bend Tribune, 14 September 1951: Irish Network Covers 38 Stations
• South Bend Tribune, 10 September, 1958: Operation Successful for Patient, Viewers
• The Indianapolis News, 26 February 1960: Heart Attack Kills Joe Boland, Age 55
• Philadelphia Inquirer, 16 April 1952: Judge John P. Boland Dies After Operation
• Philadelphia Inquirer, 5 May 1966: Dr. Boland, 56, College Official
• Minneapolis Star, 24 December 1966: Early 'U' Graduate in Journalism Dies